Fragrant Thai Chicken Green Curry
If you’re looking for an incredibly flavoursome family or dinner party meal easy that’s super easy to make, this Thai Chicken Green curry is the one! The fresh paste ingredients are so full of flavour and aromatic, that it’s one of the few curries that is just as tasty eaten immediately rather than making it in advance. As always, I like to include plenty of veggies which works really well with the delicious sauce….it’s so tasty, it’s guaranteed to be a winner! For a delicious vegan/vegetarian alternative, the recipe can easily be made without meat or it can be served with grilled chicken on the side.
To make this Thai Chicken Green Curry….
For the paste, you’ll need:
- 1 2inch piece fresh Ginger, unpeeled
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 large bunch fresh Coriander, roughly chopped, keeping stalks
- 1 large onion, quartered or 6 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 or 2 small green chilis, seeded and roughly chopped
- 4 Kaffir Lime leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 inch piece of galangal
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
- Juice of half a Lime
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 3 large chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 tin Coconut Milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 large courgettes, sliced into 1/2 cm discs
- Handful baby sweetcorn, halved lengthways
- 1 fresh Lime, cut into wedges
- Salt & Pepper
Put all the paste ingredients into a food processor and blend to a course paste.
Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan or wok and add the paste; cook on a moderate heat for 1 minute, stirring continuously to gently release the flavours but taking care it doesn’t burn. Add the stock and then the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for approximately 5 mins, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
Add the chicken, uncooked, to the curry. Allow to cook for 10 mins, stirring gently at the beginning.
Add the vegetables and cook for a further 3-4 minutes so that the vegetables are cooked but still retain their vibrant colour and are a little tender. Season well.
Toast raw cashews over a low heat in a frying pan (without oil), tossing continuously until browned slightly
Serve with brown rice, garnishing with a sprinkle fresh coriander and a squeeze of fresh lime.
This Thai Chicken Green curry recipe is so versatile;
- For a quick version, this recipe works very well with a more simple paste; simply blend just fresh Coriander, Ginger, Garlic & Chilli into the paste (no need for kaffir lime leaves, galangal or lemongrass if these are limited)
- You can use any vegetables; take care not to overcook and add the vegetables that take longer to cook first to retain tenderness. Try broccoli, cauliflower, aubergine and mixed peppers.
- For a VEGAN option, replace the chicken with cubed Tofu; sauté the tofu in a little coconut oil beforehand for added flavour
- If using a Thermomix cooking machine, the paste ingredients can be chopped by dropping in each ingredient, one by one, onto a running blade at speed 10. Scrape down the sides once finished.
- Save time and make extra paste; it’ll keep in the fridge or a week or so. Try making a green curry soup, using vegetables and thin rice noodles. The flavour is all in the paste!