Beetroot and Horseradish Hummus
This vibrant Beetroot and Horseradish Hummus is not only very simple to make but also contributes 2 portions of your 7-a-day! No, it’s not the horseradish that counts, but the red kidney beans that I’ve used a base to make this delicious fiery dip. This is a perfect protein and fibre rich snack and also ideal as an accompaniment to grilled fish, smoked mackerel or salmon.
There’s only a few ingredients in this Beetroot and Horseradish Hummus…..
- 3 medium Beetroots, either vacuum packed or if using fresh, boiled until soft
- 1 tin red Kidney Beans, well rinsed
- 4 tablespoons hot Horseradish (more if preferred)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
NB: Retain a slice or two of beetroot as well as a couple of whole kidney beans to use as a garnish
Whizz all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
Serve with cruditées such as carrot and cucumber sticks, cauliflower florets or celery.
- Replace the horseradish with 2 tablespoons Tahini and 1 tablespoon Lemon juice. You can also add garlic if you wish.
- This dip keeps for 4-5 days in the fridge but also freezes very well
- If you stain your hands with beetroot, rub a little lemon juice to remove
Packed with vitamins and minerals, in particular Calcium, Potassium, iron, vitamins A and C, Beetroot had been gaining in popularity in recent times and for good reason. It’s rich vibrant colour immediately indicates powerful antioxidants and provides good fibre; it certainly should not be overlooked! Studies also show that Beetroot can have a positive effect on reducing blood pressure. One study looked at the effect of beetroot supplementation on cyclists at altitude and found an improvement in performance. Many athletes attribute their success to beetroot juice due to their nitrate content, which dilate arteries in the blood, thus increasing blood flow.